Explore comprehensive drug treatment options using your Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey rehabilitation insurance coverage. Discover the range of services and support at Summit Behavioral Health, accessible to Horizon BCBSNJ members seeking recovery from substance abuse. Learn about coverage details, drug treatment programs, and the path to a healthier, addiction-free life.
What is Substance Use Disorder (SUD)?
Substance Use Disorder (SUD) is a complex medical condition characterized by the recurrent use of alcohol or drugs despite adverse consequences. It’s recognized as a chronic mental health disorder involving a compulsive, often uncontrollable craving, leading to harmful behaviors. SUD encompasses a spectrum of severity, ranging from mild to severe, and can involve the misuse of legal or illicit substances.
Individuals with SUD may find it challenging to cut down or control their substance use, and they may continue to use substances despite knowing the potential risks to their physical and mental health. The disorder often leads to changes in behavior, relationships, and overall functioning, affecting various aspects of an individual’s life.
Substance use disorder treatment typically involves a combination of medical intervention, therapy, counseling, and support groups where participants may share addiction recovery success stories. These holistic approaches to addiction treatment address the physical, psychological, and social aspects of addiction.1
Statistics on Drug Addiction in New Jersey
Addiction in adolescents is a concern in New Jersey, with 7.7% of children aged 12 to 17 reporting recent illicit drug use, particularly alarming given that 90% of those meeting clinical addiction criteria started substance use before 18. While drug-related deaths among individuals under 40 have declined, overdoses remain the leading cause of death for young people in the state.
New Jersey faces a high risk of illicit drug distribution due to criminal organizations operating within its borders. In 2022, substance use disorder (SUD) treatment providers reported 85,266 admissions, with 69% being male. Newark, with elevated overdose rates, is indicative of a statewide trend, especially affecting the Black community. On a positive note, individuals aged 18 to 25 in New Jersey are 6.05% less likely to engage in drug use compared to the national average in the same age group. Despite these complexities, New Jersey ranks 35th in drug use by state.
Exploring New Jersey and its Famous Cities
New Jersey, positioned along the Atlantic Coast, is a geographically diverse state with a mix of coastal, urban, and rural landscapes. Noteworthy cities contribute to its dynamic character. Newark, the largest city, is a cultural and economic hub with historic architecture. Along the Hudson River, Jersey City offers stunning views and is a major financial center.
Hoboken is a lively city with waterfront charm, while Trenton, the capital, holds historical significance. Asbury Park is a vibrant seaside city renowned for its eclectic arts scene, historic boardwalk, and lively music culture. Union City is known for its diverse communities, Atlantic City for entertainment and casinos, and Princeton for its prestigious university. The blend of these New Jersey cities’ urban excitement and natural beauty defines The Garden State’s unique appeal.
Who is Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield?
Founded in 1932, Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey (Horizon BCBSNJ) has evolved into a leading health insurance provider committed to enhancing the well-being of its members. Offering a comprehensive range of health plans, including medical, dental, and prescription drug coverage, Horizon BCBSNJ is dedicated to providing accessible and high-quality healthcare services.2
Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey is the largest health insurer in the state, serving millions of members with a broad network of healthcare providers. The non-profit organization is dedicated to enhancing its members’ and communities’ health and well-being. This commitment involves focusing on innovation, adopting digital health solutions, and collaborating with healthcare partners to elevate the healthcare experience. With a focus on preventive care and wellness programs, Horizon BCBSNJ strives to make quality healthcare accessible and affordable for individuals and families in New Jersey.3
Some BCBS Brands and Services in New Jersey
Numerous Americans have the opportunity to explore a diverse array of health coverage options, brands, products, and services with Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey. These entities offer inclusive health insurance products, including individual and group plans and cutting-edge wellness and mental health solutions. Below are several Horizon BCBSNJ brands, products, and services:
- Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey is one of the largest and most prominent BCBS brands in New Jersey. They offer various insurance plans, such as individual/family, Medicare Advantage, and Medicaid.
- Omnia Health Plans allows the insured to choose any hospital within the Horizon healthcare network and any participating physician, healthcare professional, or ancillary provider in the Horizon Managed Care Network.4
- Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield Basic and Essential Plans offer lower-cost health insurance options for individuals and families.
- The BlueCard Program allows Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey members to access medical services from providers in other states and receive coverage benefits from their home plan.5
- Horizon Direct Access® is a health insurance option that allows individuals to seek healthcare services from both in-network and out-of-network providers without needing referrals.6
- Dental and Vision Plans from Horizon BCBS of New Jersey often provide dental and vision insurance options as add-ons or standalone policies.
- Medicare Plans include Medicare Advantage and Medicare Supplement plans to meet the needs of senior citizens and those eligible for Medicare.
- Wellness Programs help members maintain a healthy lifestyle, including fitness incentives and preventive care benefits.
- Telehealth Services allow members to access medical and mental health consultations remotely.
- Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey Pharmacy services and prescription drug coverage include access to a network of pharmacies.7
- Behavioral Health Services provides coverage for addiction and mental health treatment services, including therapy, counseling, and rehabilitation programs.
- Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield Federal Employee Program (FEP) offers health insurance plans for federal employees and retirees in New Jersey.8
- Horizon MyWay is a flexible health plan that allows members to customize their coverage based on their specific needs.9
- Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield Foundation for New Jersey supports initiatives to improve healthcare and address health disparities in the state.10
What is Drug Rehab Treatment with Horizon BCBS of NJ?
Drug rehab treatment with Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey encompasses a comprehensive approach to addressing substance abuse issues, offering coverage for various therapeutic interventions and rehabilitation services. The coverage includes both inpatient and outpatient programs and services, ensuring individuals have access to the necessary resources and support for their journey toward addiction recovery.
Inpatient programs typically involve residential treatment, where individuals stay at specialized Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield drug rehab centers for an immersive, structured recovery experience. Outpatient programs, on the other hand, offer flexibility for individuals to receive treatment while still living at home. Coverage extends to various services such as drug abuse counseling that takes Blue Cross Blue Shield, medication-assisted treatment (MAT), drug detoxification, and mental health support, ensuring a holistic, personalized approach to rehabilitation.
Blue Cross Blue Shield Drug Rehab Coverage in New Jersey
Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey (BCBSNJ) covers drug rehabilitation in New Jersey. Horizon BCBSNJ offers comprehensive health insurance plans that include coverage for substance abuse treatment and rehabilitation services. This coverage encompasses both inpatient and outpatient programs, providing individuals with the necessary support for overcoming addiction.
In New Jersey, BCBS policyholders can access a range of drug treatment programs and services, including drug detoxification, drug counseling, medication-assisted treatment (MAT), and more. The coverage often extends to various levels of care, accommodating individual needs. You can check your insurance now for coverage details. Reviewing your specific plan details to understand the extent of coverage and any potential out-of-pocket costs, limitations, or exclusions is essential.
Does Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield Cover Drug Detox in New Jersey?
Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey provides coverage for drug detoxification in The Garden State. Their comprehensive health insurance plans encompass substance abuse treatment, ensuring individuals have access to detoxification services. This coverage is instrumental in supporting the initial stages of recovery and safely managing drug withdrawal symptoms under medical supervision.
Recognizing the significance of detox as the first step in treating drug dependency, Horizon BCBSNJ underscores its commitment to assisting individuals in overcoming drug addiction. You should review your specific plan details to understand the extent of coverage and any potential out-of-pocket costs, as coverage particulars can vary. You can call (888) 995-6311 for assistance.
Does Horizon BCBS Cover Drug Counseling for Substance Use Disorder (SUD) in New Jersey?
In New Jersey, Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield incorporates drug counseling into its all-encompassing health insurance packages for substance use disorder (SUD). This inclusive coverage spans a spectrum of services, ranging from personalized individual therapy to dynamic group sessions and family counseling that recognizes the family impact of addiction.
A diverse array of counseling options is at your disposal, each meticulously designed to cater to the unique needs associated with drug addiction or dependency. Counseling stands out as a pivotal facet of addiction treatment, fostering the creation of coping mechanisms and a supportive environment. Contact us for the full scope of your drug counseling coverage and to be aware of any potential out-of-pocket expenses.
Other Addiction Treatment Programs Covered by Horizon BCBS of New Jersey
Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey not only covers counseling and detox services but also extends its support to various drug treatment programs. The following sections will detail specific addiction treatment programs covered by Horizon BCBSNJ, providing insights into the available options for those seeking assistance with drug-related health issues.
Drug Addiction Partial Hospitalization Programs
A Partial Hospitalization Program (PHP) is an intensive, structured treatment program designed for individuals dealing with drug addiction. Providing a higher level of care than traditional outpatient programs, participants can return home in the evenings. PHPs involve a combination of individual and group therapy, medication management, and support services, providing addiction treatment while accommodating individuals’ daily responsibilities.
Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey (BCBSNJ) generally covers drug addiction PHPs as part of its commitment to comprehensive addiction treatment, underscoring its dedication to supporting individuals in their addiction recovery journey. This coverage ensures access to the necessary programs that offer a structured, supportive setting for those struggling with drug addiction.
Drug Addiction Intensive Outpatient Program
Intensive Outpatient Programs (IOPs) allow you to live at home while receiving support for your addiction recovery journey. With sessions that include individual counseling, group therapy, educational components, and skill-building exercises, an IOP provides a practical approach to recovery without disrupting daily life. Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey typically covers these programs, making this option more accessible.
Drug Addiction Residential Inpatient Rehab
Drug addiction residential inpatient rehabilitation centers offer an immersive, intensive approach to drug addiction treatment. Unlike outpatient options, this program requires individuals to reside at a specialized facility that provides round-the-clock care, therapy sessions, medical supervision, and a controlled environment to minimize external triggers.
Residential inpatient rehab focuses on addressing addiction holistically, addressing physical, mental, and emotional aspects for a comprehensive recovery journey. Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey typically covers this program.
You should review your plan details to understand the specifics of coverage and potential costs for any of the above drug treatment programs. Summit Behavioral Health is here to help – call (888) 995-6311 or check your insurance here.
Drug Treatment Centers That Take Horizon BCBS of New Jersey
Our treatment center in New Jersey is committed to guiding you or your loved one on your journey to recovery. We lay the groundwork for addiction recovery, supporting you through every stage. Achieving this mission is complex, but our facilities employ an integrative treatment approach incorporating the most reliable clinical practices and evidence-based intervention strategies for drug relapse prevention.
When you choose Summit Behavioral Health, we aim to convey that recovery is attainable, regardless of circumstances. We want you to understand that you’re never alone in this struggle. Allow us to lead you towards a healthier life, free from substances, and assist you in developing the mental and emotional tools necessary to embrace and enjoy sustained sobriety.
For more information, call (888) 995-6311 or visit our outpatient treatment facility at the following address:
How Much Does Drug Addiction Treatment Cost in New Jersey Without Health Insurance?
Drug addiction treatment costs without insurance in New Jersey can vary considerably, depending on factors such as policy specifics and the type and duration of the necessary treatment. On average, an individual patient in outpatient rehab can expect to pay $1,701,11 and individual psychotherapy sessions range from $100 – $200 per session.12
Rehabilitation costs vary significantly. Call (888) 995-6311 for a current and accurate assessment of your expenses as they pertain to your specific treatment needs.
How To Check Horizon BCBS Coverage Levels for Drug Rehab Treatment
Understanding your insurance policy details and identifying in-network Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield drug rehab centers is important. We acknowledge that navigating your insurance information can be intricate and time-consuming, so we simplify the process for you. Complete our confidential online form to evaluate your coverage levels for drug rehabilitation:
After interacting with your insurance provider, our team will promptly connect with you to review your coverage’s specifics. We are committed to providing support and guidance throughout your entire journey, empowering you to make well-informed decisions about rehab treatment and understand your insurance coverage.
How To Get Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey to Pay for Drug Addiction Treatment
To secure coverage for drug addiction treatment from Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey (BCBSNJ), carefully review your policy details, including detox, counseling, and rehabilitation coverage. Confirm the treatment facility’s acceptance of Horizon BCBSNJ and communicate with both the facility and the insurance provider.
Clarify coverage specifics, such as co-pays and deductibles, inquire about pre-authorization requirements, and provide comprehensive documentation from your healthcare provider, such as a treatment plan. Confirm that the treatment center will submit claims on your behalf. Open communication with insurance and healthcare providers increases the likelihood of obtaining the necessary financial support for your drug addiction treatment in New Jersey.
Drug Addiction Statistics in New Jersey
- 7% of children (12-17) in New Jersey reported using illicit drugs, including marijuana, in the past month,13 which is a concerning statistic when you consider that 90% of individuals in the United States who meet the clinical criteria for addiction, initiated substance use before reaching the age of 18.14
- Since 2018, New Jersey has witnessed a decline in drug-related deaths for individuals under the age of 40. Additionally, overdose fatalities have decreased in the state, but it still remains the leading cause of death for young individuals.15
- According to the National Drug Intelligence Center, New Jersey is at high risk for significant illicit drug distribution due to criminal organizations operating illegal distribution networks within its borders.16
- Substance use disorder treatment providers in New Jersey reported a total of 85,266 admissions and 84,437 discharges to the Division of Mental Health and Addiction Services of the Department of Human Services in 2022. Of all the admissions, 69% were male, and 31% were female.17
- In 2021, there were 2,672 opioid overdose deaths in New Jersey.18
- The top five New Jersey towns with the most heroin abuse cases per 1,000 people are as follows:19
- Seaside Heights – 31.10
- Egg Harbor City – 29.37
- Atlantic City – 28.41
- Wrightstown – 24.01
- Woodbine – 22.41
- The city of Newark has some of the highest overdose rates in the state. Additionally, the Black community has seen a rise in overdose deaths, in line with the trend across New Jersey.20
- In 2019, the New Jersey Department of Health allocated $250,000 for paramedics to administer buprenorphine during emergency calls.21
- Individuals between the ages of 18 and 25 in New Jersey are 6.05% less likely to engage in drug use compared to the average within the same age group across the United States.22
- New Jersey ranks 35th in highest drug use by state, with one being the highest.23
- “What Is a Substance Use Disorder?” American Psychiatric Association, www.psychiatry.org/patients-families/addiction-substance-use-disorders/what-is-a-substance-use-disorder. Accessed 2 Dec. 2023.
- “Our Company.” Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey, www.horizonblue.com/about-us/our-company. Accessed 2 Dec. 2023.
- “Family of Companies.” Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey, www.horizonblue.com/about-us/our-company/family-companies. Accessed 2 Dec. 2023.
- “OMNIA Health Plans.” Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey, www.horizonblue.com/providers/products-programs/products/omnia-health-plans. Accessed 22 Sept. 2023.
- “BlueCard.” Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey, www.horizonblue.com/members/plans/coverage-outside-new-jersey/bluecard. Accessed 22 Sept. 2023.
- “Horizon BCBSNJ Direct Access.” Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey, www.horizonblue.com/members/plans/medical-plans/horizon-direct-access. Accessed 2 Dec. 2023.
- “Horizon Pharmacy.” Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey, www.horizonblue.com/members/plans/horizon-pharmacy. Accessed 2 Dec. 2023.
- “Horizon Blue Cross and Blue Shield of New Jersey.” FEP Blue, www.fepblue.org/contact-us/new-jersey. Accessed 2 Dec. 2023.
- “Horizon MyWay®.” Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey, www.horizonblue.com/members/plans/horizon-myway. Accessed 2 Dec. 2023.
- “The Horizon Foundation for New Jersey – Making New Jersey Healthy.” Horizon Blue, www.horizonblue.com/foundation. Accessed 2 Dec. 2023.
- Stilkind, Joseph. “Average Cost of Drug Rehab : By Type, State and More.” NCDAS, 1 Jan. 2023, drugabusestatistics.org/cost-of-rehab.
- Lauretta, Ashley. “How Much Does Therapy Cost in 2023?” Forbes Health, 4 May 2023, www.forbes.com/health/mind/how-much-does-therapy-cost.
- “Explore Illicit Drug Use – Youth in New Jersey | AHR.” America’s Health Rankings, www.americashealthrankings.org/explore/measures/youth_IDUM/NJ.
- Partnership, and Partnership. “Adolescent Substance Use: America’s #1 Public Health Problem.” Partnership to End Addiction, 13 Nov. 2023, drugfree.org/reports/adolescent-substance-use-americas-1-public-health-problem.
- Henderson, Tim. “Death Rates for People Under 40 Have Skyrocketed. Blame Fentanyl.” New Jersey Monitor, 5 Sept. 2023, newjerseymonitor.com/2023/09/05/death-rates-for-people-under-40-have-skyrocketed-blame-fentanyl.
- “Overview – New Jersey Drug Threat Assessment.” New Jersey Drug Intelligence Center, May 2001, www.justice.gov/archive/ndic/pubs0/669/overview.htm.
- “New Jersey Drug and Alcohol Use Treatment: Substance Use Overview 2022 Statewide.” Department of Human Services Division of Mental Health and Addiction Services, Sept. 2023, www.nj.gov/humanservices/dmhas/publications/statistical/Substance%20Abuse%20Overview/2022/Statewide.pdf.
- “Opioid Overdose Deaths and Opioid Overdose Deaths as a Percent of All Drug Overdose Deaths | KFF.” Kaiser Family Foundation, 9 May 2022, www.kff.org/other/state-indicator/opioid-overdose-deaths/?currentTimeframe=0&selectedRows=%7B%22states%22:%7B%22new-jersey%22:%7B%7D%7D%7D&sortModel=%7B%22colId%22:%22Location%22,%22sort%22:%22asc%22%7D.
- Doyle, Bill. “These 10 NJ Towns Have the Most Heroin Abuse Cases.” New Jersey 101.5, 13 Nov. 2019, nj1015.com/these-10-nj-towns-have-the-most-heroin-abuse-cases.
- “Overdose Response Team – Newark Community Street Team.” Newark Community Street Team, 9 Sept. 2022, www.newarkcommunitystreetteam.org/overdose-response-team.
- Gounder, Dr. Céline, and Kerry Breen. “New Jersey County Uses Innovative Program to Treat and Prevent Drug Overdoses.” CBS News, 1 July 2023, www.cbsnews.com/news/new-jersey-county-uses-innovative-program-to-treat-and-prevent-drug-overdoses.
- Bustamante, Jaleesa. “Teenage Drug Use Statistics : Data and Trends on Abuse.” NCDAS, 1 Jan. 2023, drugabusestatistics.org/teen-drug-use.
- Kiernan, John S. “Drug Use by State: 2023’s Problem Areas.” WalletHub, wallethub.com/edu/drug-use-by-state/35150.